SILENT BEACON SAFETY APP
SILENT BEACON SETUP SCREEN
(For instructions for older version of the iPhone App click here )
Here are instructions on what we are looking to achieve with finalizing our application for Store Release. This shows how to setup the app along with an explanation of each feature and our concerns. Please keep in mind both Location Services and Push Notifications need to be turned on for this app to function properly. Check your general phone settings to turn these on.
The current XMPP Server we have we wish to change to cloud based system to run on RackSpace or Amazon. We need zero downtime and the ability to scale rapidly. Also a 24/7 monitoring system should be added. We realize this is a 3rd party cost and it has been budgeted accordingly. There is a repo on GitHub of these elements as well.
The current build of the IOS App is found on BitBucket. The build will need to add / cross check elements already created on our GitHub version called the “current-master” repo. Once we begin Phase 2 with adding the BLE functions. We need to make sure the “ble-writing-fine” from our GitHub is gone over to see what needs to be included to submit to Apple from the new build.
Register – Step 1
- Name – Enter your name, this information is used to let the people you save as Emergency Contacts know who is alerting them. The system saves both first and last names.
- Phone Number – Your phone number is the root of how this App works. Enter your cellular number, this is how the app interacts with your Contacts and sends alerts.
(Country Codes can be selected from the left hand side by touching the +1) If the user does not have a phone number (wi-fi or tablet) we offer them the option of adding a home number, this may need to be explained more thoroughly. (See Step 2 notes)
- Email – This field is not necessary but will help you if you need help or send out emails to your Contacts during an alert.
Register – Step 1 Concerns
- There is no service integration in the app for storing the modified user-info(Name and email) from profile screen on server.There is only for get the userInfo “getUserDetails”. This should be created.
- The message coming from backend if user is not register with the enter number “user does not exist”. This text should be modified to help user understand the issue.
- When we call direct loginToXMPPServer in the verification screen it will say authentication Fail. As previous we call it after calling the “resetPassword“ service then it gives authentication. We need to check it in backend services.
Register – Step 2
- A 6 digit code is going to be sent to your phone, please make sure you have enabled text messages. You can type in directly or cut and paste from the text. Save the number that shows up so you will know it is Silent Beacon if your Contact goes into alert mode.
- If you do not have a phone number (as talked about in Step 1 notes) the user can click “Didn’t get code, click here” which brings up the options for receiving an email, or phone call.
Register – Step 2 Concerns
- Make sure all options under “Didn’t get code click here” work correctly with XMPP Server.
SILENT BEACON MAIN MENU
Blue Alert Button
This button is the heart of the safety app. When faced with an emergency press this button. It will then send the alerts to loved ones and the emergency personnel you have selected in the Contacts page.
The button will turn red and chime (if your audio is on) letting you know the emergency alerts have been sent.
The nudge feature is our latest improvement to the Silent Beacon safety app. This allows you to notify loves ones that you got to your destination safely without the need to call or text them. It sends a snap shot of your location along with your pre-stored custom text message. “It’s John, I am ok.”
Nudge Contacts Concerns
- Nudge should somehow visually show users that it has been successfully clicked. Right now it does nothing but make a quick noise that should be changed too. This should have a pop up to something similar to “Nudge successfully sent!”
- Nudge should also email the person if the contact has added their email.
One of our brand new features. Pressing this button allows your location to be shared with contacts. Let them see where you are in situations that you feel unsafe or want to be found. Code is used in the XMPP Server to show their contacts this information.
- This should send a push notification to your contacts that have Footsteps toggled. I am having trouble identifying if this works due to certification and provisioning profile issues from the last team.
- The code was created and entered. It also has a toggle inside Contact Details that needs to be connected/updated.
- If a friend has clicked on Footsteps this graphic should blink red like the Contacts button does on if someone is in emergency.
- My Information- Allows you to edit your name, phone number and email address. This page also shows you your current GPS location incase you need information on where you are.
- Message Setup – Here is the area where you can customize your emergency Text, Email and nudge messages. This is what your Contacts will see when you are in alert mode.
- Instructions Page – If you are reading this, you are on the Instructions Page!
- Logout- This feature allows you logout of the app, just incase you want to delete it from your phone or re-install once you receive a new mobile phone number.
- Mute Sounds- Gives you the freedom to turn off the noises associated with this application.
Option Menu Concerns
- A delete account option that would fully remove their information (at least publicly) from our server. Should be stored still for an amount of time for FBI/Police/Court reasons.
- My Information should also host the version number of the app so you do not need to logout/in just to view which version you have.
- A section for Firmware Update that can connect to our server when the device has a Critical Firmware Update
SAFETY APP CONTACT SCREEN
This is the page where your Emergency Contacts are stored. You can see who needs help, who is connected and you may edit each listing by clicking the right side icon. Below is information on each part of this page.
Top right plus sign +
Pressing the plus sign will bring you to the add contact page. This is where you can add a new contact manually or from your phones address book.
Left side Beacon Icons
On the left side of this screen you can see a gray/blue or red beacon icon. Below is the meaning of each.
Contact Screen Concerns
- Making sure the XMPP Server is correctly dictating the correct status in the most efficient manner. There appear to be bugs from IOS to Android and vice versa. This is the most important feature of the application since it shows the user in emergency or out of emergency.
- Any issue with the socket programming in the app
Yellow icon Concerns
- When a user goes into emergency the blue button in Emergency Contacts turns Red. If that person goes into emergency and they do not click the red button and the person goes back out of emergency it turns Yellow. Once the user clicks the yellow it takes you to a map. This all works. But once you are done looking at the map, it says yellow. (in new build, not app store)
- This needs to be made sure it is properly showing the green pins and green line in the map. This is based in the XMPP server and will only be shown on the persons contacts they have toggled ON in the Contact Details Footsteps section.
Right side info Icon
On the right side of this screen you can see a white outlined icon. Each Contact will have the (I) symbol in the icon. If you have set Call Feature on within the Contacts Detail screen the icon will have a ‘phone ringing’ symbol which lets you know this Contact will be called when you press the alert.
SAFETY APP CONTACT DETAILS
This section fills in the Contacts personal details. First and Last name, their phone number and email address. The email address field is not required but will help if your Contact does not have phone access at work. The Contact can be emailed when you alert them and sent your GPS location. Your country code is selected using the scroll wheel.
This portion of the Contact page allows you to toggle on and off the notification methods. The toggle is on when it is in blue, off is in white.
- Call Number – Sets this Contact as the number dialed when the Silent Beacon is in alert mode.
- Text Messaging – Allows this Contact to receive an alert via text that you need help. This is good for older phones and non-smart phones.
- Push Notifications – When activated this feature allows your Contact to receive notifications of your alert (user must have a smartphone).
- Email Notifications – This will allow your Contact to receive an email with your alert and GPS location. This feature helps if your Contact is in a workplace where their phone is not readable available.
- Nudge – This feature allows your Contact to be nudged. Nudge is a non-emergency alert that is sent to ‘check in’ or let someone know you are OK.
Actions are clickable functions within the app.
- Show Map – This allows you to view the Contact’s map if they themselves are in an emergency.
- Resend Instructions – An email will be sent to the Contact allowing them to setup the app in their own phone or finding out more about Silent Beacon.
- Delete Contact – Pressing this will delete this Contact from your Silent Beacon safety app.
Contact Details Page Concerns
- Call number needs to show that this is the only person you can call. Maybe with a (I) that you can click that informs you, OR a pop up message when you toggle the button that stats “You can only have it call one person, toggling on will override the last person you clicked to call”. Or something. Make a template so we can decide.
- Added Footsteps but it needs to be made sure it works. This feature toggles on the main menu footsteps option.
- Push Notifications are currently through Urban Airship. We pay 300 a month for this and we just want to have it on our XMPP server, is this possible, is this worth it? Can it be done to be a cost effective solution.